|Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:53 pm: |
Congratulations on purchasing your New Nuvi! You'll want to register your new unit as soon as possible.
Why Would You Want to Register Your Unit?
1. By registering your unit, it makes it easier in the future to provide to keep your device up-to-date and working properly.
2. It also allows you to check for free map updates and other available map updates.
3. You'll be able to get free software (firmware) updates.
4. You'll be able to receive important warranty and recall information.
What Things Will I Need to Register my Nuvi?
You will need the following:
1. Your Nuvi.
2. Your Nuvi's serial number (located on the decal).
3. A USB to mini-USB data cable.
4. PC with Internet browser.
How Do I Register?
First, open your browser to the following URL:
Next, plug the USB cable into an avalable USB port on your PC. Then plug the mini-USB end of the cable into your Nuvi. Your Nuvi should power on, boot-up and in a short period of time, you should see a PC and Nuvi icom appear on the screen of your Nuvi. This indicates that your PC and Nuvi are now connected and transmitting data between each other.
Next, you need to set up an account with Garmin. At the link above, select a username and password.
Next, you'll be asked to provide your units serial number. This can be found on a decal, either on the rear of your unit or the bottom.
Next, you'll be asked to install the Garmin Communicator Plug-in (GCP). This plug-in will that allows you to easily transfer data between websites and Garmin GPS devices.
To verify that the plug-in is working correctly, try accessing the GCP test page: