|Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 07:16 pm: |
Ok, so you want to upgrade the map on your Nuvi. You connect your Nuvi to the PC, you go to the Garmin website and your told that you don't have enough memory left on your Nuvi for the upgrade.
What can you do?
It seems every year, the map file gets larger and requires more free space on your Nuvi.
Not all Nuvi's are created alike. Some Nuvi's have more memory than others. Some Nuvi's, like the lower-end 2xx/2xxW series have such a limited memory, that they can only hold the lower 48 states map.
So, if your Nuvi has adequate storage space (1.2GB required for 2011) but you can't upgrade to a newer map due to a "not enough memory space" warning, there are a few things you can try to free up memory.
1. Delete any MP3's or photos that you may have added.
2. Delete any unused voices that you don't need.
3. Delete any unused vehicles that you don't need.
4. Delete any screen snapshots that you may taken with your Nuvi.
5. Delete the GUPDATE.GCD file.
6. Delete the PDF user manual.
You can always copy these files over to a folder on your PC before you delete them from your Nuvi.
Don't delete any files that you don't know what they are, as they could affect the normal operation of your Nuvi.
If you don't want to clear up free memory on your Nuvi, you may try loading the map onto a SD card.